Which cities require a city report and/or city inspection when selling in Southern California?

A ‘city report’ is a report that is required when selling in certain cities. A ‘city inspection’ is a requirement that a city employee visit the property to be transferred prior to the close of escrow. Some cities require these, most do not. Here is a 2023 list of many cities in California and who requires what. A retrofit inspection is usually also required for the cities listed below.

CityCity FeeCity Inspection or Fee
AzusaReal Property Records Report626-812-5265$52 – $165All properties, including vacant land, but not on first sale. Buyer to acknowledge report, 6 month time limit. Prices subject to change every summer (updated March 8, 2012).
BellPresale Inspection Report323-588-6211 ext. 298$200 + $75/unitInspection required. Seller signs form, must get signature notarized if not submitting application in person.
Belvedere (Marin County)Residential Building Record Report415-435-3838$300Inspector goes out to the property. Report cannot be waived. Good for 60 days. Buyer acknowledges report.
Beverly HillsSmoke Detector & Water Conservation Plumbing Fixtures Affidavit310-285-1141Buyer & Seller sign form. No inspection. Only deals with smoke detector and water conservation.
BurbankRetrofit Upon Sale Certificate of Compliance818-238-3700Water Conservation only. No inspection. Buyer & Seller sign on Certificate of Compliance.
Carpinteria (Santa Barbara County)Inspection-on-Sale Report Application805-684-5405 ext. 451$245 – $400Inspector goes out to the property. Buyer must acknowledge report. Cannot be waived. Good for 6 months.
CarsonNO LONGER REQUIRED310-952-1766N/AThe city council of Carson repealed the requirement of a Residential Property Report effective September 20, 2019. See City Page.
Cathedral City (Riverside County)Smoke Detector Inspection760-770-0341Please callPlease visit Cathedral City’s website for more details.
Chico (Butte County)Energy Retrofit Inspection530-879-6700Cost varies per each private inspector. Only mandatory on buildlings prior to 1991. Buyer doesn’t need to acknowledge. Inspectors are certified by the city. Commercial buildings don’t require it.
ComptonApplication For Report of Building Records310-605-5509$129 for first Single Family Dwelling, $105 for additionalInspection required. Residential Only. Buyer acknowledgement of Residential Building Report needed.
Corte Madera (Marin County)Application for Report of Residential Building Record415-927-5062$130Inspector doesn’t go out to the property. Cannot waive. Buyer doesn’t need to acknowledge. Commercial buildings don’t require it. It is good for 6 months.
CudahyPre-Inspection report323-773-5143$255 up to 5 unitsInspection required. Pick up form at Building and Safety, pay and obtain appointment. Residential, commercial and vacant land.
Culver CityReport of Building Records310-253-5800$96-$128No inspection. Need on residential & commercial properties, no vacant land. Call for application. Takes 10 business days. Buyer needs to acknowledge.
Daly City (San Mateo County)Residential Requirements Report Request650-991-8061$45Fax report. The report is computer generated. Buyer has to acknowledge the report and inspection and cannot be waived. The report is good for 6 months.
Del Rey Oaks (Monterey County)Residential Property Report831-394-8511$100See website for Information. Physical inspection required. Property owner must acknowledge report. Report cannot be waived. Commercial buildings have a separate report.
Eastvale (Riverside County)Business Registration Certification951-361-0900$46.00 annual feeFor businesses and rental properties. No physical inspection is required at this time. Annual term from April 1 – March 31. More details here
El MonteProperty Inspection Report626-580-2050$195.50-$252.50+Inspection required. Residential and commercial properties. Call for application form. Buyer acknowledgement needed.Form Link
El SegundoNONE now, pursuant to Building Dept.310-524-2380NONE
GardenaProperty Information Report310-217-9530$435 for exterior only inspection. $552 for exterior and interior inspection. (July 2021)Report to be delivered 15 days prior to closing. Residential and commercial. Condos are exempt. Buyer can sign a Waiver. Buyer must acknowledge either the report or the Waiver.
Hawaiian GardensPre Sale Inspection562-420-2641$265Inspection required. Residential and commercial properties. New construction exempt. Deliver 21 days before closing, Buyer to acknowledge.
Hermosa BeachReport for Residential Building Records310-318-0235$263.00Residential only. Takes 2 weeks to process. Exterior inspection only. Good for 6 months
Huntington ParkResidential Pre-Sale Inspection Program323-584-6271$105 for exterior inspection, $60 for interior inspectionInspection required. Single family 1-4 units and vacant land required. No commercial or over 4 units. Good for 6 months.
InglewoodReport of Building Records and Code Violations310-412-5294$163 (up to 4 units) + $11/unit (after 4 units)Additional fees apply for inspection. Full breakdown on their Building Fees page. Buyer needs to acknowledge. Good for 6 months.
Laguna Beach (Orange County)Real Property Report949-497-0714$350No inspection. All properties, including commercial and vacant land. Go down to Building Dept and pick up application and pay. Realtor needs to have his City Business License to show. Takes 7 days.
LawndaleOff Street Parking Report/Residential Property Report310-973-3236$240.00Please see Lawndale City’s Page for more information.
Livermore (Alameda County)Report of Residential Building Record925-960-4410$60No physical inspection. Buyer must acknowledge it. Cannot waive. Good for 6 months. Commercial buildings don’t require it.
LomitaResidential Property Report Application310-325-7110$162.18For residences with certain exceptions. Does not apply to commercial property. On-site inspection is an additional $162.18. For more information, check out the City of Lomita Community Development page.
Long BeachGarage Inspection Program562-570-6401$105.00 for 1-2 unitsInspection concerns only non-street parking at a residence/building. Certain conditions allow for the use of a Garage Exemption Certificate.
Los Angeles CityResidential Property Report – 9A213-485-2216$70.85 per parcelNo city inspection. Need on residential and vacant land. No commercial properties or first sale of new residential building. Need application form with original signatures by Seller (and Buyer if Buyer is doing work). Good for 6 months. Completed reports can be searched for and printed out at this link.
Los Angeles City – Dept of Water and PowerCertificate of Compliance213-284-6130$15 -$75 and upLicensed plumber to certify low flow toilets and showerheads and sign Certificate of Compliance. Seller and Buyer also to sign. Form link
LynwoodReal Property Report Application310-603-0220 ext. 289$230.44Inspection of exterior only. Residential only. Call for application form. Real Estate Agent needs to have business license for Lynwood to apply.
MalibuWastewater Treatment System Transfer of Permit310-456-2489Please callCity Website: Malibu City
Manhattan BeachReport of Residential Building Records310-802-5546$121.50No inspection. Residential only. Water Conservation Retrofit required.
Marina (Monterey County)Residential Property Report831-884-1214$50See website for Information. Physical inspection required. Buyer acknowledges report. Report cannot be waived. Good for 3 months. Commercial buildings do not need.
MaywoodPre-Sale Home Inspection323-562-5727$110Inspection required. Application is multiple carbon copy. Call them to mail. Buyer needs to acknowledge report and this report cannot be waived. No expiration date, good until sale of property again. Whoever is applying for report needs to have a Business License with City.
Monterey (Monterey County)Residential Property Report831-646-3890Report Faxed. Exterior inspection only. Buyer acknowledges report. Report cannot be waived. Good for 6 months. No requirement for condominiums, but apartments do require.
Newport BeachReport of Residential Building Records949-644-3291$156 – 182 and upResidential only. Inspection not required, but if declined, will be noted on report for Buyer to acknowledge. Takes 30 days to complete after application submitted. Corrections to be done within 30 days or Buyer can assume responsibility. Good for one year.
Oakland (Alameda County)Sidewalk Certificate of Compliance510-238-3199$84.92 as of March 24, 2021Applies to selling, buying, or renovating of properties above $100,000. Full details in their FAQ here.
Orange (Orange County)NONE ANYMORE
Oxnard (Ventura County)Report of Building Records805-385-7840$37.80Inspection not required. Residential and commercial. Buyer to acknowlege. Takes 7 days to process. Good for 6 months. Call Patricia or Ruby for fax or e-mail of application.
Palos Verdes EstatesReal Property Records Report310-378-0383$156Inspection not needed. Takes 5 working days. Good for 6 months. Homeowner applies. If third party applies, needs a City Business License in order to apply.
PasadenaPresale Self-Certification Program626-744-7144$27.78 – $150.38Inspection required and cannot be waived. Single family, duplex, condos, townhouses. Please see webpage for more information.
Piedmont (Alameda County)Housing Records Search510-420-3050$50No physical inspection. Report cannot be waived. Buyer doesn’t need to acknowledge it. Commercial buildings require the same report.
Port Hueneme (Ventura County)Residential & Commercial Building Records805-986-6500$43-$107Has option of report only or report and inspection. Required for residential and commercial. Buyer can waive with signature on waiver and sent to Building and Safety. Can obtain a supplement to original report that was obtained 6 months prior. No application online. Call for application.
Rancho Palos VerdesSmoke Detector & Water Conserving Fixtures Affidavit310-265-7800Only deals with smoke detector and water conservation.
Redondo BeachReport of Residential Building310-318-0636$125.00 effective August 1, 2019Updated information about ordering the Residential Report at this link. Please review to prevent delays in processing.
RialtoRialto Water Services – New Service Application909-820-2546Please callGo to Rialto’s city Website and search Water Sewer Payment Guidelines
Rolling Hills EstatesPre-Sale Inspection Report310-377-1577$200-$300Residential only. Buyer can choose a record search only or with an on-site inspection. Buyer to complete application. Takes 7 business days. Must have to close.
Ross (Marin County)Residential Report415-453-1453 ext.106$325 + $100 each add. unitPhysical inspection required. Business license is required for businesses, which costs $100. Buyer must acknowledge report. Cannot be waived. Also required for commercial buildings. Good for 12 months. Go to Building Dept to get application
Salinas (Monterey County)Residential Property Report831-758-7241831-758-7241Report Faxed. No physical inspection required. Buyer acknowledges report. Report cannot be waived. Good for 90 days.
San Diego (San Diego County)Water Conservation Certificate619-533-7485NO LONGER REQUIREDNo longer required for resale transactions as of February 28, 2022. More information on their resource page.
San FernandoResidential Inspection Upon Resale818-898-1227$240.00Inspection required. Call or visit their office for an application. More information can be found on their Building and Safety page.
San FranciscoStationary Tank Permits415-558-3300 (Fire Dept)$330 + $344/yearResidential only. Check if property contains stationary tank, if there is a cap on sidewalk or a generator for above ground or portables. Buyer must apply. There is a one time cost of $330 and a yearly tax license of $344, paid through Tax Collector. Fire Dept will inspect tanks yearly.
San FranciscoResidential Energy & Water Conservation415-558-6220Residential only. Energy Conservation required only once in lifetime of home and will be noted on the 3R report. The water conservation is required each time of transfer. Go to website to find City approved inspectors. Inspector normally charges flat fee for all inspections and filing fees.
San FranciscoReport of Residential Building Record (3R)415-558-6080$148Residential only. City does not inspect, but needs to get a licensed contractor to do so. Valid for one year. Buyer does not need to sign off. Each building needs its own application.
San Luis ObispoWater Conservation Certificate – Toilet Retrofit Verification805-781-7215Unknown, please callRequired prior to sale. Inspection by licensed contractor or Water Resources staff member.
San MarinoResidential Compliance Certificate626-300-0700$140.00Residential only. Inspection fee separate. Apply in person, they will provide list of individuals or firms allowed to do inspection. Report cannot be waived. Buyer not required to acknowledge report. All violations must be corrected within 6 months. Takes 10 business days. Good 2 years or when sold.
San Pablo (Contra Costa County)Residential Health and Safety Inspection510-215-3030$125 (condo), $175 (SFR), $25+ per/unitPhysical Inspection required. Report cannot be waived. Good for 6 months. Commercial buildings not required. Buyer does not need to acknowledge.
Santa MonicaReport of Residential Building Records310-458-8355$330.44Inspections not required. Computer generated report. Can fill it out online. Cannot be waived. Buyer must acknowledge. Good for 6 months. Look for application form under “Forms – Public Records – Public Records Request”.
Sausalito (Marin County)Residential Building Record Report415-289-4128$150No physical inspection. Report cannot be waived. Buyer doesn’t need to acknowledge. Needs a sewer video it doesn’t have one within last 3 years. Go to Building Dept to get application.
Seaside (Monterey County)Real Property Disclosure Report831-899-6736$129Report emailed. Exterior inspection only. Must have every time the property transfers. Cannot be waived.
Signal HillResidential Inspection Report Request562-989-7348$170-565Only for 4 units and up residential properties. Valid for 6 months. Buyer does not need to acknowledge.
South GatePre-Sale Inspection323-563-9500$63Inspection required. Residential only or residential in mixed use units. Code violations to be corrected within a year by Seller or Buyer. Buyer to acknowledge. Report is good for one year.
Thousand Oaks (Ventura County)Report of Residential Building Records805-449-2500$82- $308Inspections required only if there are open permits, cost is then $308. No inspection cost is $82. Good for 6 months. Takes up to 10 working days to get.
TorranceSmoke Detector Cert of Compliance310-781-7635 Building and Safety Dept.No property inspection or report required. However, does need a Smoke Detector Compliance done by Contractor.
Ventura (Ventura County)Report of Building Records805-654-7874$79.00No property inspection. Only review permits on file. Buyer to acknowledge.
retrofit companies in los angeles, city of Los angeles retrofit, city rerports list

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *