What Are The Seismic Gas Shut Off Valve Requirements in Los Angeles?

For the City of Los Angeles, when selling, an approved seismic earthquake shut off valve is required to be installed on any commercial or residential building containing gas and gas piping. Any licensed plumber is able to install an earthquake automatic shut off valve correctly and to code. An un-licensed handyman should never install a seismic valve due to the danger of gas. Also a licensed plumber will know exactly the correct plumbing installation code.

For the city of LA, here is the requirement as stated on the website for the city of LA, LADBS. See item #4.

Seismic gas shut off valves are also required in other cities within the county of Los Angeles. As of 2023, the current list is:

  • Los Angeles
  • Santa Monica
  • West Hollywood
  • Culver City
  • Malibu
  • Agoura Hills
  • San Fernando

Any other city in the county of LA not listed above does not require an earthquake shut off valve when selling.

Curious about other requirements for the city of Los Angeles, or any other city in the county of Los Angeles when selling? To find out what exactly is needed when selling, type in the city name below in the search box.

Call us with any questions you may have at 310-800-4418 regarding specific requirements and the correct installation of an earthquake seismic shut off valve, as well as other requirements when selling your home.

4 thoughts on “What Are The Seismic Gas Shut Off Valve Requirements in Los Angeles?”

  1. Is this valve (same as on your photo) “ firefighter gas safety products AGV-100 horizontal valve” from Amazon, eel city LA requirement?

    1. Yes. Various valves are used in Southern California but we have seen most people prefer the ‘Little Firefighter’ type valve, available online and plumbing supply houses.

  2. What are the requirements for multi-family buildings. Is it required at each meter or is one for the building okay.

    1. In California, only certain cities require earthquake shut off valves. If the EQ valves are to be installed today, they need to go on each meter. If they were installed in years past, one EQ valve for multiple meters may suffice (grandfathered in). You will need to check with the department of building and safety for the city or area the property is located in for their final word on that.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *